Simmons firm have
and resources to
handle complex lawsuits involving
the prescription medication Yaz.
Yaz Lawsuit Information
According to a lawsuit filed in July 2009, more than 50 reports of death for Yaz/Yasmin users occurred from 2004-2008. The manufacturer of Yaz, Bayer, says that it has been served with 74 Yaz lawsuits from women who claim they have experienced dangerous side effects as a result of taking the best-selling birth control pill in the U.S.2
The reasons for filing a Yaz lawsuit are numerous:
- blood clot (heart or lung)
- heart attack
- kidney failure
- cardiac arrhythmias
- pulmonary embolism
- deep vein thrombosis
- gall bladder problems, sometimes necessitating surgery
What is Yaz?
Yaz is a birth-control pill that prevents ovulation and makes it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.3
Uses of Yaz include:
- contraception (prevent pregnancy)
- moderate acne treatment in women ≥14 years old having menstrual periods and wishing to use birth control pills to prevent pregnancy
- treatment of symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD): anxiety, depression, irritability, lack of energy, weight gain et al.
Yaz Side Effects
Prescriptions for Yaz contain side effects warnings and instructions about "Who Should Not Take Yaz." Some of the possible side effects include:
- upper respiratory infection
- breast pain
- abdominal pain
- urinary tract infection
- accidental injury
- weight gain
- flu syndrome
- tooth disorder
The FDA warnings to Bayer about Yaz include:
- television ads are "false and misleading"
- ads overstate the drug's efficacy
- ads minimize the serious risks associated with the drug
- ads promoted the drug's use for PMS, for which it is not approved
- a German plant that makes its hormone ingredients did not calculate variability to American standards
As a result, Bayer put $20 million into a corrective advertising campaign.
* Please note that recovery results vary per client. The recovery amounts in each case reflect the specific facts of that case. Further, recovery amounts in past cases are not a guarantee of future results.
Contact the Simmons firm
Should you want to learn more about the Yaz lawsuit or would like to speak to one of the Yaz lawyers, contact the Simmons firm for assistance. Or, if you would like more information regarding the wide range of legal matters our practice handles, including mesothelioma, commercial, intellectual property, defective medical devices and pharmaceutical litigation, contact the Simmons firm. We're interested in hearing from you.
Resources for Clients
New Studies Point to Clot Risk of Bayer's Yasmin, Reuters April 2011
- Bayer Must Include Safety Warnings of Increased Blood Clots on Yaz Labels, FDA Panel Rules
- New Contraceptives Like Yaz Increase Blood Clot Risks, FDA Study Finds
- FDA Remains Concerned about Popular Birth Control's Increased Risk of Blood Clots in Women
- Simmons Firm’s Partner Trent Miracle Chosen to Help Lead National Litigation Against Bayer
“My mom had a catastrophic stroke as a result of taking...”Mario
“I appreciate all that the Simmons firm has done for me...”Cynthia