Please note: The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only. As of 2012, Simmons Hanly Conroy is no longer accepting cases involving Reglan.
FILING A LAWSUIT
Reglan side effects can be dangerous.
Reglan, which is manufactured by Baxter Healthcare Corporation, is used for the treatment of gastrointenstinal conditions. However, Reglan is FDA approved for short-term treatment (not to exceed three months) after other methods of treatment have failed. However, evidence shows that one-third of patients are prescribed Reglan for longer than three months, which is against FDA recommendations. This has resulted in Reglan lawsuits.
Though there is no Reglan recall, an FDA warning issued in February 2009 advises of the significant side effects from the extended use of Reglan. Manufacturers of the drug have indicated a 0.2 percent chance of developing severe complications, such as tardive dyskinesia, but the incidence of reported severe symptoms appears to be as much as 100 times greater. As a consequence, victims and their families are turning to legal action for recourse for their medical bills, lost earning capacity and pain and suffering.
One 2007 FDA study shows that 20 percent of patients who use Reglan take it for longer than three months. It is excessive and chronic use that presents the greatest risk of tardive dyskinesia and other severe health complications. Drug companies’ failure to adequately warn of the long-term risks and lack of follow-up with further studies on the incidence of the involuntary facial, tongue and jaw movements of tardive dyskinesia is the reason for Reglan product liability lawsuits. The resulting social, physical, emotional and in some cases, financial damage (loss of employment) has created a climate of suffering that could have been avoided by proper adherence to what should have been more explicit warnings of the ill effects of long-term Reglan use.
WHAT IS REGLAN?
Reglan (metoclopramide) is a prescription drug used to treat a number of gastrointestinal conditions, including slow gastric emptying in people with diabetes and heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux. For these conditions, Reglan works to increase muscle contractions aiding in faster digestion.
REGLAN SIDE EFFECTS
Some of the more serious Reglan side effects are:
- Tardive Dyskinesia – involuntary muscle movements, usually in the face and tongue, but sometimes in the trunk or extremities
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS) – Parkinson’s-like symptoms–slow movements, rigidity and tremors
- Akathesia – a severe anxiety and inability to sit still
- Seizures and convulsions
According to the FDA, do not take Reglan ODT for more than 12 weeks.
Also, do not take Reglan ODT if you:
- have stomach or intestine problems, such as bleeding, blockage or tears.
- have an adrenal gland tumor.
- are allergic to: metoclopramide, aspartame, colloidal silicon dioxide, crospovidone, magnesium stearate, mannitol, aminoalkyl methacrylate copolymer, microcrystalline cellulose, natural and artificial orange flavor, povidone.
- take medications that could cause seizures or uncontrolled movements.
- have epilepsy or other seizure disorder.
REGLAN SIDE EFFECTS
The most extreme side effects of Reglan generally stem from prolonged use or higher doses and are described by victims as embarrassing and debilitating. Reglan may worsen symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, depression or bowel obstructions.
Reglan side effects include:
- Shuffling walk
- Tardive dyskinesia (see below)
- Trouble swallowing
- Stiff muscles
- Severe anxiety
- Irregular heartbeat
- Rapid breathing
- Suicidal thoughts
- Mental/mood changes
Patients are most prone to tardive dyskinesia, or uncontrolled muscle movements in the face, tongue and extremities, when Reglan is taken for more than 12 weeks or if they are elderly. Tardive dyskinesia cannot be treated, but occasionally the cessation of the medicine intake can decrease or eliminate the symptoms.
* Please note that recovery results vary per client. The recovery amounts in each case reflect the specific facts of that case. Further, recovery amounts in past cases are not a guarantee of future results.
RESOURCES FOR CLIENTS
Thank you Simmons firm! You are all angels! You have been wonderful and so helpful….so happy that my husband had you working for him!
Wife of Charles, Client